J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75S (2006) pp. 88-90 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (646K)|
Proc. of 5th Int. Symposium on ASR-WYP-2005 – Advances in the Physics and Chemistry of Actinide Compounds –
Single Crystal Synchrotron X-Ray Diffraction Study under Pressure in UGe2
1Neutron Science Laboratory, Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo, Tokai, Ibaraki 319-1106
2Synchrotron Radiation Research Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Sayo, Hyogo 679-5148
3Ooarai Branch, Institute for Material Research, Tohoku University, Ooarai, Ibaraki 311-1313
4Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464-8602
Synchrotron radiation x-ray diffraction experiments on the pressure-induced ferromagnetic superconductor UGe2 has been performed using a diamond anvil cell (DAC) diffractometer to study the correlation between the crystal structure and ferromagnetism. The oscillation photos covering the three-dimensional reciprocal spaces were taken both below and above a critical temperature Tx at pressures up to 1.1 GPa. Coupled charge density wave (CDW) and spin density wave (SDW) fluctuations were predicted as an origin of unusual properties of UGe2 by Watanabe and Miyake, but no additional superlattice Bragg peaks corresponding to the CDW reflections could be observed, resulting in an upper limit of its intensity of ∼1 ×10-4 to the fundamental Bragg peak intensity.
- S. S. Saxena, P. Agarwal, K. Ahilan, F. M. Grosche, R. K. W. Hasehwimmer, M. J. Steiner, E. Pugh, I. R. Walker, S. R. Jurian, P. Monthoux, G. G. Lonzarich, A. Huxley, I. Sheikin, D. Braithwaite and J. Flouquet:
Nature (London) 406 (2000) 587[CrossRef].
- K. Oikawa, T. Kamiyama, H. Asano, Y. Ōnuki and M. Kohgi:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 65 (1996) 3229[JPSJ].
- A. Huxley, I. Sheikin, E. Ressouche, N. Kernavanois, D. Braithwaite, R. Calemczuk and J. Flouquet:
Phys. Rev. B 63 (2001) 144519[APS].
- H. Nakane, G. Motoyama, T. Nishioka and N. K. Sato:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 74 (2005) 855[JPSJ].
- S. Watanabe and K. Miyake:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 71 (2002) 2489[JPSJ].
- H. Kotegawa, A. Harada, S. Kawasaki, Y. Kawasaki, Y. Kitaoka, Y. Haga, E. Yamamoto, Y. Ōnuki, K. M. Itoh, E. E. Haller and H. Harima:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 74 (2005) 705[JPSJ].
- G. Motoyama, S. Nakamura, H. Kadoya, T. Nishioka and N. K. Sato:
Phys. Rev. B 65 (2002) 020510[APS].
- R. A. Noack and W. B. Holzapfel: High Pressure Sci. Technol. 1 (1978) 748.
- T. Watanuki et al.: unpublished.
- T. Shobu et al.: unpublished.
- An imaging plate system of R-AxisV (Rigaku Co.) was used with the development of spatial resolution by High Pressure Science Group.
- A. B. Shick and W. E. Pickett:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 86 (2001) 300[APS].
- H. Yamagami:
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 15 (2003) S2271[IoP STACKS].