J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75S (2006) pp. 20-23 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (228K)|
Proc. of 5th Int. Symposium on ASR-WYP-2005 – Advances in the Physics and Chemistry of Actinide Compounds –
Quadrupolar and Magnetic Ordering in (U,Np)Pd3
1Department of Physics and Astronomy, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, U.K.
2European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Transuranium Elements, Postfach 2340, Karlsruhe, D-76125 Germany
3European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, BP 200, F-38403 Grenoble Cedex, France
4Department of Metallurgy and Materials, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, U.K.
UPd3 exhibits four phase transitions between 8 and 4 K which have been attributed to a succession of antiferroquadrupolar ordered structures of the uranium 5f2 electrons. These structures have been studied by resonant X-ray scattering techniques. We present new measurements of the azimuthal dependence of the superlattice intensities from which we have deduced the order parameter in the phase immediately below T0=7.6 K to be Qzx. We also report studies of dhcp NpPd3 with results for the magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity and electrical resistivity. Two phase transitions have been observed at 30 and 10 K. The evolution of the quadrupolar phases in UPd3 has been determined in samples of (U1-xNpx)Pd3.
- K. A. McEwen, J.-G. Park, A. J. Gipson and G. A. Gehring:
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 15 (2003) S1923[IoP STACKS].
- U. Steigenberger, K. A. McEwen, J. L. Martinez and D. Fort:
J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 108 (1992) 163[CrossRef].
- D. F. McMorrow, K. A. McEwen, U. Steigenberger, H. M. Rønnow and F. Yakhou:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001) 057201[APS].
- K. A. McEwen, U. Steigenberger, K. N. Clausen, J. Kulda, J.-G. Park and M. B. Walker:
J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 177–181 (1998) 37[CrossRef].
- S. B. Wilkins, J. A. Paixão, R. Caciuffo, P. Javorsky, F. Wastin, J. Rebizant, C. Detlefs, N. Bernhoeft, P. Santini and G. H. Lander:
Phys. Rev. B 70 (2004) 214402[APS].
- H. C. Walker, K. A. McEwen, P. Boulet, E. Colineau and F. Wastin:
Physica B 359–361 (2005) 1156[CrossRef].
- N. H. Andersen: in Crystalline Electric Field and Structural Effects in f-Electron Systems, ed. J. E. Crow, R. P. Guertin and T. W. Mihalisin (Plenum, New York, 1980) p. 373.
- H. C. Walker, K. A. McEwen, P. Boulet, E. Colineau and F. Wastin: Proc. SCES05, to be published in Physica B.