J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75S (2006) pp. 152-154 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (461K)|
Proc. of 5th Int. Symposium on ASR-WYP-2005 – Advances in the Physics and Chemistry of Actinide Compounds –
Electrolytic Reduction of U(IV) Salts to U(III) in N,N-Dimethylformamide: Effects of Electrode Materials and Counter Anions
Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577
Experimental conditions of bulk electrolysis of U(IV) complexes to U(III) required for “all-uranium redox-flow battery” were examined in terms of effects of electrode materials (platinum and mercury) and of counter ions (perchlorate and triflate) in N,N-dimethylformamide. When U(IV) perchlorate was used as starting material, concentration of U(III) increased until time point when that of U(IV) decreased to about a half of its initial concentration. After that the concentration of U(III) turned to decrease, in correspondence to amalgamation in case of Hg or solvent decomposition in case of Pt. When U(IV) triflate was used as starting material, efficient generation was observed on Hg, whereas on Pt, it was not observed. Mercury electrode was preferred for efficient reduction of U(IV) to U(III) both in triflate and perchlorate system but suppression of the amalgamation process is necessary.
- Y. Shiokawa, H. Yamana and H. Moriyama: J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 37 (2000) 253.
- T. Yamamura, N. Watanabe, T. Yano and Y. Shiokawa: J. Electrochem. Soc. 152 (2005) A830.
- T. Yamamura, Y. Shiokawa, H. Yamana and H. Moriyama: Electrochim. Acta 48 (2002) 43.
- G. Gritzner and J. Selbin: J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. 30 (1968) 1799.
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 408–412 (2006) 1296.
- K. Shirasaki, Y. Monden, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: to be published in R. Soc. Chem.
- R. Barnard, J. I. Bullock, B. J. Gellatly and L. F. Larkworthy: J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans. 18 (1972) 1932.
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura, T. Herai and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 418 (2006) 217.
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: to be published in R. Soc. Chem.
- J. Drozdzynski: J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. 40 (1978) 319.
- D. Cohen and W. T. Carnall:
J. Phys. Chem. 64 (1960) 1933[CrossRef].
- R. W. Lawrence:
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 56 (1934) 776[CrossRef].
- T. Yamamura, K. Shirasaki and Y. Shiokawa: submitted to J. Phys. Soc. Jpn.
- T. Yamamura, K. Shirasaki, D. X. Li and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 418 (2006) 139.