J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75S (2006) pp. 149-151 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (406K)|
Proc. of 5th Int. Symposium on ASR-WYP-2005 – Advances in the Physics and Chemistry of Actinide Compounds –
Preparation of Uranium(III) Triflate in Tetrahydrofuran by Reduction of U(OTf)4 with Zinc amalgam
Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577
In order to develop an alternative preparation method of uranium(III) precursors soluble in aprotic organic solvent used for the preparation of uranium(III) compounds, U(IV) triflate, U(OTf)4, in tetrahydrofuran (THF) was reduced to produce uranium(III) triflate. U(OTf)4 in THF was completely reduced by large excess of zinc within 25 minutes. Energies and molar coefficients of the absorption bands of U(III) triflate are close to those of U(III) in 1M HCl aqueous solution especially in the range of (9 -14) ×103 cm-1. U(III) triflate solution maintains its oxidation state in THF is when it is contacted with zinc amalgam for more than a week.
- T. Yamamura, N. Watanabe, T. Yano and Y. Shiokawa: J. Electrochem. Soc. 152 (2005) A830.
- Y. Shiokawa, H. Yamana and H. Moriyama: J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 37 (2000) 253.
- J. I. Bullock, A. E. Storey and P. Thompson: J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans. (1979) 1040.
- T. Yamamura, K. Shirasaki, D. X. Li and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 418 (2006) 139.
- D. C. Moody and J. D. Odom: J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. 41 (1979) 533.
- D. C. Moody, R. A. Penneman and K. V. Salazar: Inorg. Chem. 18 (1979) 208.
- D. C. Moody, A. J. Zozulin and K. V. Salazar: Inorg. Chem. 21 (1982) 3856.
- R. A. Andersen: Inorg. Chem. 18 (1979) 1507.
- S. J. Simpson and R. A. Andersen:
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 103 (1981) 4063[CrossRef].
- D. L. Clark, A. P. Sattelberger, S. G. Bott and R. N. Vrtis: Inorg. Chem. 28 (1989) 1771.
- J. J. Katz, L. R. Morss and G. T. Seaborg: The Chemistry of the Actinide Elements (Chapman and Hall, New York, 1986).
- D. Brown: Halides of the Lanthanides and Actinides (Wiley-Interscience, London, 1968).
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: to be published in R. Soc. Chem.
- H. M. Crosswhite, H. Crosswhite, W. T. Carnall and A. P. Paszek:
J. Chem. Phys. 72 (1980) 5103[AIP Scitation].
- D. Cohen and W. T. Carnall:
J. Phys. Chem. 64 (1960) 1933[CrossRef].
- J. Drozdzynski and A. N. Kamenskaya:
Chem. Phys. Lett. 56 (1978) 549[CrossRef].
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 408–412 (2006) 1296.
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura, Y. Monden and Y. Shiokawa: to be published in R. Soc. Chem.