J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 75S (2006) pp. 137-142 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (316K)|
Proc. of 5th Int. Symposium on ASR-WYP-2005 – Advances in the Physics and Chemistry of Actinide Compounds –
Energy Efficiency of an Uranium Redox-Flow Battery Evaluated by the Butler–Volmer Equation
Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577
Energy efficiency of uranium redox-flow battery was evaluated on the basis of overvoltage evaluated by Butler–Volmer equation using standard rate constants of U(III)/U(IV) and U(V)/U(VI) in aprotic solvents. Though uranium–acetylacetonate complexes exhibit complicated electrode reactions and requires further improvements, a redox diagram prepared on the basis of determined E1/2 values can be compared with that of neptunium which is suitable for the battery. The energy efficiency of the uranium battery was evaluated at various current densities on the basis of Butler–Volmer equation and the results were compared with those of neptunium and vanadium redox-flow batteries. At the current density of 70 mA cm-2, the energy efficiency evaluated was 98.0%, which is 15% higher than that of the vanadium battery. The uranium battery has an excellent charge and discharge performance in comparison with the existing vanadium battery.
- L. H. Thaller: Proc. 9th Intersoc. Energy Conv. Eng. Conf., San Francisco, CA, Aug. 26–30 1974, p. 924.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos, M. Rychcik, R. G. Robins, A. G. Fane and M. A. Green: J. Electrochem. Soc. 133 (1986) 1057.
- E. Sum, M. Rychcik and M. Skyllas-Kazacos: J. Power Sources 15 (1985) 179.
- E. Sum, M. Rychcik and M. Skyllas-Kazacos: J. Power Sources 16 (1985) 85.
- M. T. McDermott, K. R. Kneten and R. L. McCreery: J. Electrochem. Soc. 140 (1993) 2593.
- K. K. Cline, M. T. McDermott and R. L. McCreery:
J. Phys. Chem. 98 (1994) 5314[CrossRef].
- Y. Shiokawa, H. Yamana and H. Moriyama: J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 37 (2000) 253.
- R. A. Marcus:
J. Phys. Chem. 67 (1963) 853[CrossRef].
- T. Yamamura, N. Watanabe, T. Yano and Y. Shiokawa: J. Electrochem. Soc. 152 (2005) A830.
- H. G. Heal: Nature 157 (1946) 225.
- A. Ekstrom: Inorg. Chem. 13 (1974) 2237.
- K. Shirasaki, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 408–412 (2006) 1296.
- T. Yamamura, K. Shirasaki and Y. Shiokawa: submitted to Dalton.
- T. Yamamura, Y. Shiokawa, H. Yamana and H. Moriyama: Electrochim. Acta 48 (2002) 43.
- T. Yamamura, Y. Shiokawa, Y. Nakamura, K. Shirasaki and S.-Y. Kim: J. Alloys Compd. 374 (2004) 349.
- T. Yamamura, N. Watanabe and Y. Shiokawa: J. Alloys Compd. 408–412 (2006) 1260.
- K. Hasegawa, A. Kimura, T. Yamamura and Y. Shiokawa:
J. Phys. Chem. Solids 66 (2005) 593[CrossRef].