J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 70 (2001) pp. 2049-2053 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (194K)| |Buy This Article|
Magnetic Properties and de Haas-van Alphen Effect of PrNi2Al5
Department of Physics, Toyama University, Toyama 930-8555
1Toyama Prefectual University, Kosugi, Toyama 939-0398
2The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University,
Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047
(Received March 26, 2001)
We have succeeded in growing a high-quality single crystal of PrNi2Al5, and have measured the electrical resistivity, magnetic susceptibility, magnetization and specific heat. Any magnetic phase transition has not been observed. The crystalline-electric-field (CEF) scheme has been estimated by using the reciprocal susceptibility and a magnetic part of the specific heat. The magnetic anisotropy has been well explained by the CEF effect. The analytical result of the CEF effect shows that this compound has a singlet ground state and that the CEF energy in 4f electrons from the ground state to the first excited state is 43 K. The Fermi surfaces and the cyclotron effective masses have been investigated by means of de Haas-van Alphen effect. It is found that the Fermi surfaces of PrNi2Al5 are almost the same as those of LaNi2Al5.
©2001 The Physical Society of Japan
KEYWORDS:magnetic susceptibility, electrical resistivity, specific heat, de Haas-van Alphen effect, single crystal, crystalline electric field, magnetic anisotropy, PrNi2Al5
- E. Parthé and B. Chabot: Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths, ed. K. A. Gschneidner, Jr. and L. Eyring (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1984) Vol. 6, p. 113.
- Y. Isikawa, T. Mizushima, K. Oyabe, K. Mori, K. Sato and K. Kamigaki:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 60 (1991) 1869[JPSJ].
- F. Givort, J. X. Boucherle and Y. Isikawa: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 65 (1996) Suppl. B, p. 129.
- F. Givort, J. X. Boucherle, J. Dreyer, Y. Isikawa, B. Ouladdiaf, S. Pujol, J. Schweizer and F. Tasset:
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 11 (1999) 7327[IoP STACKS].
- Y. Isikawa, H. Takagi, A. Ishiguro, M. Yasumoto, T. Kuwai, T. Mizushima, J. Sakurai, A. Sawada, T. Komatsubara, K. Maezawa and H. Harima:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 68 (1999) 2802[JPSJ].
- K. Maezawa, S. Akamaru, T. Kuwai, Y. Isikawa, J. Sakurai and H. Harima:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 68 (1999) 2697[JPSJ].
- T. Kuwai, S. Akamaru, T. Mizushima, J. Sakurai and Y. Isikawa: Physica B 281&282 (2000) 108.
- Brian G. Wybourne: Spectroscopic Properties of Rare Earths (Interscience Publishers, 1965) p. 164.
- K. Maezawa, T. Kato, Y. Isikawa and K. Sato:
J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 104–107 (1992) 1365[CrossRef].
- D. Aoki, Y. Katayama, R. Settai, Y. Inada, Y. Onuki, H. Harima and Z. Kletowski:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 66 (1997) 3988[JPSJ].
- H. Kitazawa, Q. Z. Gao, H. Shida, T. Suzuki, A. Hasegawa and T. Kasuya:
J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 52 (1985) 286[CrossRef].
- I. Umehara, N. Nagai and Y. Onuki:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 60 (1991) 3150[JPSJ].