J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 70 (2001) pp. 1966-1970 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (184K)| |Buy This Article|
Estimation of Plasma Parameters using Radio-Frequency Resonance Technique
Reader in Physics, Ravenshaw College, Cuttack, Orissa, Pin-753003, India
1Sitaram Square, Jatni, Orissa, Pin-752050, India
2Plot No. 140, Bapuji Nagar, Bhubaneswar-751009, Orissa, India
(Received July 7, 2000)
Numerous workers have studied rf resonance probe under the condition νm≪ωep, i.e. under collisionless condition, where νm is angular collision frequency and ωep is angular plasma frequency. In the present paper, the interaction of rf signal with a back diffusion type plasma has been studied without neglecting collision frequency. The problem has been discussed theoretically under this condition, and the derivation yields two expressions for which impedance is minimum. To verify the result experimentally, a rectangular plasma chamber is designed and fabricated, where electron density can be changed without changing the discharging potential and vacuum conditions. From the experiment two resonance peaks are obtained in the I–f2 curve (I: current and f: applied frequency) corresponding to the two minimum impedance conditions, from which plasma parameters like electron density, collision frequency and electron temperature have been estimated.
©2001 The Physical Society of Japan
KEYWORDS:plasma, electron density, electron temperature, collision frequency, radio frequency resonance
- J. D. Swift and M. J. R. Schwar: Electrical probes for Plasma Diagnostics (Iliffe Book, London) (1970) pp. 156, 159, 161–163, 170.
- T. H. Y. Young and J. Sayers: J. Proc. Soc. B 70 (1957) 663.
- R. S. Harp and F. W. Crawford:
J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1964) 3436[AIP Scitation].
- K. Takayama, H. Ikegami and S. Miyasaki:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 5 (1960) 238[APS].
- J. Uramato, J. Fujita, H. Ikegami and K. Takamaya: Institute of Plasma Physics Research Report No. 19, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, December 1963.
- T. Dote and T. Ichimiya:
J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1965) 1866[AIP Scitation].
- P. Misra: Experiments on Plasma Physics (DST, Govt. of India, ND, 1998) p. 158.
- H. Ikezi and K. Takayama:
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 21 (1966) 2021[JPSJ].
- Propagation of electromagnetic waves in plasma (Gordon & Breach, 1960) p. 85.
- Reviews of Plasma Physics, ed. M. A. Leontovich (Consultant Bureau, New York, 1965) Vol. I, p. 136.
- R. Buckley: Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. A 290 (1966) 186.