J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 38 (1975) pp. 1159-1166 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (963K)| |Buy This Article|
Interaction of Two Vortex Rings Moving along a Common Axis of Symmetry
Faculty of Science, Ochanomizu University
1Institute of Space and Aeronautical Science, University of Tokyo
(Received October 3, 1974)
Interaction of two vortex rings is examined by experiments and numerical analysis. Experimental observations are carried out in a water tank using the electrolysis method and it is found that the interaction patterns are classified into three types. Numerical simulations are performed by integrating the Navier-Stokes equation and the results of the experiments and calculations are found in good agreement.
The game of the passing through each other does not happen in this region of low Reynolds number.
©1975 The Physical Society of Japan
- H. Lamb: Hydrodynamics (Cambridge University Press, 1932) ch. 7.
- G. K. Batchelor: An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics (Cambridge University Press, 1967) ch. 7.
- F. W. Dyson: Phyl. Trans. A 184 (1893) 1041.
- A. Sommerfeld: Mechanik der deformierbaren Medien (Akademische Verlag, Leipzig, 1957) Kap. 4.
- T. Maxworthy:
J. Fluid Mech. 51 (1972) 15[CrossRef].
- T. Kambe and Y. Oshima: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 38 (1975) 271.
- Y. Oshima: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 32 (1972) 1125.
- P. G. Saffman: Studies in Appl. Math. 49 (1970) 371.