J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 34 (1973) pp. 1402-1407 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (498K)| |Buy This Article|
Unsteady Motion of a Stratified Rotating Viscous Fluid between Two Disks
Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science
(Received June 5, 1972)
The effect of stratification is investigated on the time-dependent motion of a viscous fluid between two infinite rotating disks. Exact solutions are given for the linearized equations under Boussinesq approximation. The steady solutions of this problem obtained by Niimi (J. Phys. Soc. Japan 31 (1971) 1567) are criticized and the correct solutions are presented as a limiting case of our results when t→∞. The velocity and temperature distributions are discussed in detail for small Ekman numbers.
©1973 The Physical Society of Japan
- Hideyuki Niimi: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 31 (1971) 1567.
- G. F. Carrier: J. Fluid Mech. 23 (1965) 145.
- V. Barcilon and J. Pedlosky: J. Fluid Mech. 29 (1967) 1.
- J. S. Allen: J. Fluid Mech. 46 (1971) 1.
- G. Walin:
J. Fluid Mech. 36 (1969) 289[CrossRef].
- M. C. Hendershott: J. Fluid Mech. 36 (1969) 513.
- R. Devanathan, A. R. Rao and K. C. Balan: to appear in Acta Mechanica.
- H. P. Greenspan: The Theory of Rotating Fluids (Cambridge University Press, 1968) p. 11, p. 124.
- H. P. Greenspan and L. N. Howard:
J. Fluid Mech. 17 (1963) 385[CrossRef].