J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 23 (1967) pp. 618-625 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (868K)| |Buy This Article|
Density Distribution and Particle Diffusion in an Energetic Arc in a Magnetic Field
The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research
(Received April 7, 1967)
The effects of magnetic field and pressure on the radial distribution of plasma density are investigated experimentally for an energetic arc of 1014 cm-3 density and 2×105°K temperature in relation to the diffusion phenomena of plasma. Experiments are made in argon at pressures ranging from 3×10-2 to 3×10-5 torr and 1000∼4000 gauss of the magnetic field strength. Classical and Bohm type's diffusion coefficients were examined for two different states of plasma: One is with low ionization degree (<35%) and the other nearly fully ionized (>98%). The experimental results show that the e-folding length of the exponentially varying density-profile is inversely proportional to the magnetic field strength at 3×10-3 torr pressure, whereas to the square root of the strength at 3×10-5 torr pressure. This suggests that some types of turbulence would be produced in the fully ionized plasma of energetic arc.
©1967 The Physical Society of Japan
- S. Miyoshi: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 22 (1967) 915.
- J. M. Chapuk et al.: Rev. sci. Instrum. 34 (1962) 1377. A. Gardner et al.: Phys. of Fluids 5 (1962) 794.
- S. Brown: Basic Data of Plasma Physics (M. I. T. Press, 1959).
- E. McDaniel: Collision Phenomena in Ionized Gases (John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1964) p. 164.
- D. Rose and M. Clark: Plasma and Controlled Fusion (M. I. T. Press 1961) p. 167.
- K. Mori et al.: Kakuyugo-Kenkyu 16 (1965) 546 [in Japanese].
- A. Simon: An Introduction to Thermonuclear Research (Pergamon Press, 1959) Chap. 9.
- B. Bohm et al.: The Characteristics of Electrical Discharge in Magnetic Field (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1949) p. 201.
- A. Simon:
Phys. Rev. 99 (1955) 317[APS].
- S. Yoshikawa and D. Rose: Phys. of Fluids 5 (1962) 334. N. Rynn: Phys. of Fluids 7 (1964) 1084.
- L. Spitzer: Physics of Fully Ionized Gases (Interscience Publishers, Inc., 1962) 2nd ed., Chap. 2.
- F. Boeschoten and F. Schwirzke: Nuclear Fusion 2 (1962) 54.
- N. D'Angelo and N. Rynn: Phys. of Fluids 4 (1961) 1303.
- H. Enjōji et al.: Kakuyugo-Kenkyu 16 (1966) 8.