J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 23 (1967) pp. 575-578 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (377K)| |Buy This Article|
On the Magnetic-Field Induced Index Matching Due to Mobile Carriers in the Landau Levels
Department of Physics, Kyoto University
(Received May 29, 1967)
A possibility of observing “helicon third harmonic generation” under a phase-matched (or index-matched) condition in the submillimeter or far infrared regime is discussed. The matching condition may largely be controlled by varying an external magnetic field, and for electrons and holes in a nearly isotropic band with a small cubic anisotropy an appreciable enhancement of the power generation can be expected at ωc=4ω, where ωc is the cyclotron frequency and ω the frequency of the incident laser beam.
©1967 The Physical Society of Japan
- C. K. N. Patel, R. E. Slusher, and P. A. Fleury:
Phys. Rev. Letters 17 (1966) 1011[APS].
- K. J. Button, H. A. Gebbie. and B. Lax: IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics 2 (1966) 202.
- R. E. Slusher, C. K. N. Patel, and P. A. Fleury:
Phys. Rev. Letters 18 (1967) 77[APS].
- N. Bloembergen, Nonlinear Optics (W. A. Benjamin, Inc., New York, 1965).
- D. A. Kleinman:
Phys. Rev. 128 (1962) 1761[APS]; N. Bloembergen and P. S. Pershan:
Phys. Rev. 128 (1962) 606[APS].
- P. Aigrain: Proceedings of the International Conference on Semiconductor Physics, Prague, 1960 (Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Prague, 1961), p. 224.
- S. J. Buchsbaum: Plasma Effects in Solids (Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors. Dunod Paris, 1964) p. 3.
- P. A. Wolff and Gary A. Pearson:
Phys. Rev. Letters 17 (1966) 1015[APS].
- Similar calculation has also been reported recently by B. Lax, W. Zawadzki and M. H. Weiler:
Phys. Rev. Letters 18 (1967) 462[APS].