J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 23 (1967) pp. 546-552 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (853K)| |Buy This Article|
Electron Spin Resonance of Fe3+ in SrTiO3 with Special Reference to the 110°K Phase Transition
(Received June 3, 1967)
The electron spin resonance of F3+ in single crystals of SrTiO3 has been studied in the low temperature phase below 110°K. The resonance lines exhibited small splitting in addition to the usual tetragonal splitting. The orientation dependence of the splitting was measured at 77°K and at 4.2°K. The whole spectrum is explained to be due to the rotation of oxygen octahedron in the (100) plane, the angle of rotation being 1.4° at 77°K and 2.1° at 4.2°K. Corresponding splitting was also observed for the case of the `strong axial field' spectrum due to Fe3+ accompanied by the nearest neighbor oxygen vacancy. The observed angles of rotation are about 30 percent smaller than those of the former case. The crystal structure deduced from the atomic positions of oxygen ions will be D4h16 in the low temperature phase. Correlation with the resonance data of Gd3+ in SrTiO3 is discussed.
©1967 The Physical Society of Japan
- K. A. Müller: Helv. phys. Acta 31 (1958) 173. and K. A. Müller:
Phys. Rev. Letters 2 (1959) 341[APS].
- L. Rimai and G. A. deMars:
Phys. Rev. 127 (1962) 702[APS].
- H. Gränicher: Helv. phys. Acta 29 (1956) 210.
- M. J. Weber and R. R. Allen: J. chem. Phys. 38 (1963) 726.
- G. Rupprecht and R. O. Bell:
Phys. Rev. 125 (1962) 1915[APS].
- R. O. Bell and G. Rupprecht:
Phys. Rev. 129 (1963) 90[APS].
- E. Sawaguchi, A. Kikuchi and Y. Kodera: J. Phys. Soc. Japan: 18 (1963) 459.
- F. W. Lytle: J. appl. Phys. 35 (1964) 2212.
- M. J. Weber and R. F. Shaufele:
Phys. Rev. 138 (1965) A 1544[APS].
- O. N. Tufte and E. L. Stelzer:
Phys. Rev. 141 (1966) 675[APS].
- W. Kaiser and R. Zurek:
Phys. Letters 23 (1966) 668[Elsevier].
- W. I. Dobrov, R. F. Vieth and M. E. Browne:
Phys. Rev. 115 (1959) 79[APS].
- E. S. Kirkpatrick, K. A. Müller and R. S. Rubins:
Phys. Rev. 135 (1964) A 86[APS].
- T. Sakudo: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 18 (1963) 1626.
- T. Takeda: private communication.
- H. F. Kay and P. C. Bailey: Acta cryst. 10 (1957) 219.
- O. Beckman:
Phys. Rev. 121 (1961) 376[APS].
- R. A. Cowley:
Phys. Rev. 134 (1964) A 981[APS].