J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 23 (1967) pp. 525-536 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1727K)| |Buy This Article|
Color Centers Induced by Neutron Irradiation in ZnS Single Crystals
Radiation Center of Osaka Prefecture
(Received March 10, 1967)
(Revised Manuscript Received June 2, 1967)
Correlations among the changes in optical density due to illumination with uv, 425-, or 540-mµ light have been examined of the uv, 390-, 425-, and 540-mµ bands introduced by neutron irradiation in ZnS single crystals. The photosensitive behavior before and after isochronal annealing of the samples and the analysis of the intensity distribution of the 425- and 540-mµ bands reveal that the 425-mµ band consists of a broad and narrow bands, and that this broad band and the 540-mµ band may have the same origin of absorption, The narrow 425-mµ band and the 390-mµ band disappear by isochronal annealing up to 340° and 480°C, respectively. The photosensitive uv band and the other visible bands begin to disappear from the step at 520°C. Activation energy for the defects responsible for 540-mµ band has been estimated to be 2.2 eV. A reasonable placement of the energy levels has been made of these absorption centers.
©1967 The Physical Society of Japan
- A. W. Smith and J. Turkevich:
Phys. Rev. 94 (1954) 857[APS].
- A. W. Smith:
Phys. Rev. 101 (1956) 1263[APS].
- P. Jaszczyn: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 19 (1961) 299; Phys. Status solidi 3 (1963) k211.
- T. Seiyama, T. Yoshida and H. Nishimura: Annual Report of the Radiation Center of Osaka Pref. 4 (1962) 67.
- T. Seiyama and T. Yoshida: Annual Report of Radiation Center of Osaka Pref. 5 (1964) 66.
- T. Yoshida, T. Seiyama, Y. Shono and M. Kitagawa:
J. appl. Phys. Letters 9 (1966) 26[Elsevier].
- C. C. Klick:
Phys. Rev. 85 (1952) 154[APS].
- R. V. Hesketh and E. E. Schneider:
Phys. Rev. 95 (1954) 837[APS].
- S. J. Czyzak, D. C. Reynolds, et al.: J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 44 (1954) 864.
- W. Primak and H. Szymanski:
Phys. Rev. 101 (1956) 1268[APS].
- W. Primak, L. H. Fuchs and P. P. Day:
Phys. Rev. 103 (1956) 1184[APS].
- E. W. J. Mitchell and E. G. S. Paige: Phil. Mag. 8th Ser. 1 (1956) 1085.
- G. H. Kinchin and R. S. Pease: Rep. Progr. Phys. 18 (1955) 1.
- G. J. Diens and G. H. Vineyard: Radiation Effects in Solid (Interscience Publishers, INC., New York, 1957) p. 56.
- S. Shionoya, T. Koda and K. Era: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 19 (1964) 1157.