J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 22 (1967) pp. 1139-1150 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1273K)| |Buy This Article|
X-Ray Raman Scattering Experiment. I
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Sophia University
(Received February 1, 1967)
X-ray Raman scattering of Cu Kα radiation by solids of light elements has been studied. The scatterers were polycrystalline lithium, beryllium, boron and carbon. At the low-angle scattering it was clearly found that (1) the Raman scattering appears as a band, not as a line; (2) the shape of the band is quite similar to the spectrum of the K-absorption of the same material; and (3) the wavelength of the critical edge of the band shifts from the incident X-ray wavelength corresponding to the lowest excitation energy of the K-electron of the scatterers. The Raman band almost always overlapped the well-known Compton band, except for low-angle scattering. The shape of the whole spectrum consisting of the Compton- and Raman-band depends upon the scattering angle and the elements. After being analyzed, the intensity of the Raman scattering was confirmed to depend upon the scattering angle, θ, as (1+cos
2θ/2 as predicted by theory.
©1967 The Physical Society of Japan
- K.S. Krishnan: Nature 122 (1928) 961. B. Davis and D. P. Mitchell:
Phys. Rev. 32 (1928) 331[APS]. D. Coster, I. Nitta and W. J. Thijssen: Nature 124 (1929) 230. W. Ehrenberg: Z. Phys. 53 (1929) 234. D.P. Mitchell:
Phys. Rev. 33 (1929) 871[APS].
- K. Das Gupta: Nature 166 (1950) 563;
Phys. Rev. Letters 3 (1959) 38[APS];
Phys. Rev. 128 (1962) 2181[APS]; Phys. Rev. Letters 13 (1964) 338. R.J. Weiss:
Phys. Rev. 140 (1965) 1867[APS]. A. Faessler and P. Mühle:
Phys. Rev. Letters 17 (1966) 4[APS].
- A. Smekal: Naturwiss enschaften 11 (1923) 873. J.W.M. DuMond: Rev. mod. Phys. 5 (1933) 11. A. Sommerfeld:
Phys. Rev. 50 (1936) 38[APS].
- T. Suzuki: Nippon Buturi Gakkai Kaisi 19 (1964) 789. [in Japanese] T. Suzuki: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 21 (1966) 2087.
- Y. Mizuno and Y. Ohmura: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 22 (1967) 445.
- P.M. Platzman and N. Tzoar: Optical Properties and Electronic Structure of Metals and Alloys, ed. F. Abeles (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1966) p. 94.
- W. Heitler: The Quantum Theory of Radiation (Oxford, 1954).
- F. Bloch:
Phys. Rev. 46 (1934) 674[APS].
- H.A. Bethe and E.E. Salpeter: Handbuch der Physik, ed. S. Flugge (Springer, Berlin, 1957) Vol. 35.
- T. Sagawa et al.: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 21 (1966) 2602.
- N. H. March: Proc. Phys. Soc. A67 (1954) 9. B. Donovan and N.H. March: Proc. Phys. Soc. A69 (1956) 1249.
- M. Cooper, J. A. Leake and R. J. Weiss: Phil. Mag. 12 (1965) 797.
- J. C. Slater: Quantum Theory of Atomic Structure, (Mc-Graw Hill, New York, 1960) vol. 1. p. 210.
- International Tables for X-Ray Crystallography, ed. K. Lonsdale (Kynoch, Birmingham, 1962) vol. III p. 162.
- K. Siegbahn et al.: αβγ-Ray Spectroscopy, ed. K. Siegbahn. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1965) vol. 1. p. 852.