J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 21 (1966) pp. 1936-1946 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1248K)| |Buy This Article|
Interband Optical Transitions in Extremely Anisotropic Semiconductors. I. Bound and Unbound Exciton Absorption
Institute for Solid State Physics, The University of Tokyo
(Received July 2, 1966)
By using the effective-mass theory for exciton, the allowed and forbidden direct interband transitions in extremely anisotropic semiconductors are discussed. In this case, the problem is reduced to solving the Schrödinger equation for a hypothetical two-dimensional hydrogen atom. The bound and unbound solutions of the equation are obtained, and the absorption intensities in the discrete, quasi-continuous, and continuous spectral regions are calculated. It is shown that, in the allowed transitions, a small peak may appear just above the absorption edge because of the Coulomb interaction between an excited electron and a hole. This result is compared with the experimental curves of the absorption in layer-type semiconductors, CaS, GaSe, and GaTe.
©1966 The Physical Society of Japan
- R. J. Elliott: Polarons and Excitons ed. C. G. Kuper and G. D. Whitefield (Oliver and Boyd 1963) p. 269. R. J. Elliott:
Phys. Rev. 108 (1957) 1384[APS].
- R. J. Elliott and R. Loudon:
J. Phys. Chem. Solids 15 (1960) 196[CrossRef]. H. Hasegawa and R. E. Howard:
J. Phys. Chem. Solids 21 (1961) 179[CrossRef].
- O. Akimoto and H. Hasegawa: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 21 (1966) No. 12.
- J. L. Brebner: J. Phys. Chem. Solids. 25 (1964) 1427. J. L. Brebner and G. Fisher: Canad. J. Phys. 41 (1963) 561; Proc. Int. Conf. Semiconductor Physics Exeter (1962) p. 760. J. L. Brebner, G. Fisher, and E. Mooser: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 23 (1962) 1417.
- Y. Nishina, S. Kurita, and S. Sugano: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 21 (1966) 1609.
- M. Shinada and S. Sugano: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 20 (1965) 1274.
- H. I. Ralph: Solid State Communications 3 (1965) 303.
- H. A. Bethe and E. E. Salpeter: Quatum Mechanics of One- and Two-Electron Atoms (Springer-Verlag 1957) p. 22. L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Quantum Mechanics, (Pergamon press 1958) p. 15.
- K. Aoyagi et al.: Proc. Int. Conf. Semiconductor Physics Kyoto (1966).
- W. Kohn and J. M. Luttinger:
Phys. Rev. 98 (1955) 915[APS].
- T. Inui: Tokusyu Kansuu (Higher Transcendental Functions) (Iwanami Shoten 1962) p. 191 [in Japanese].