J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 12 (1957) pp. 570-586 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (2065K)|
Statistical-Mechanical Theory of Irreversible Processes. I. General Theory and Simple Applications to Magnetic and Conduction Problems
Department of Physics, University of Tokyo
(Received March 2, 1957)
A general type of fluctuation-dissipation theorem is discussed to show that the physical quantities such as complex susceptibility of magnetic or electric polarization and complex conductivity for electric conduction are rigorously expressed in terms of time-fluctuation of dynamical variables associated with such irreversible processes. This is a generalization of statistical mechanics which affords exact formulation as the basis of calculation of such irreversible quantities from atomistic theory. The general formalism of this statistical-mechanical theory is examined in detail. The response, relaxation, and correlation functions are defined in quantummechanical way and their relations are investigated. The formalism is illustrated by simple examples of magnetic and conduction problems. Certain sum rules are discussed for these examples. Finally it is pointed out that this theory may be looked as a generalization of the Einstein relation.
©1957 The Physical Society of Japan
- I. Prigogine: Proceedings of the International Conference on Electron Transport in Metals and Solids, Canadian J. Physics, 34, No12A (1956) 1236; L. Van Hove:
Physica 21 (1955) 517, [CrossRef]
22 (1956) 343[CrossRef].
- See for instance, S. R. de Groot, Thermodynamics of Irreversible Processes, North Holland Pub. Co. 1952.
- See for instance, R. T. Cox, Statistical Mechanise of Irreversible Change.
- J. G. Kirkwood:
J. Chem. Phys. 14 (1946) 180[CrossRef].
- H. B. Callen and T. A. Welton:
Phys. Rev. 83 (1951) 34[APS].
- H. Takahasi: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 7 (1952) 439.
- R. Kubo and K. Tomita: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 9 (1954) 888.
- H. Nakano: Prog. Theor. Phys. 15 (1956) 77, [PTP]Busseiron-Kenkyu (in Japanese) 84 (1955) 25, 88 (1955) 53.
- The preliminary reports by the author; R. Kubo: Proceedings of the International Conf. on Electron Transport in Metals and Solids. Canadian J. Phys. 34 No12A (1956) 1274, Kagaku (in Japanese) 27 (1957) 58, Busseiron-Kenkyu (in Japanese) 89 (1955) 79, R. Kubo and M. Yokota: ibid. 89 (1955) 99, R. Kubo, N. Hashitsume and M. Yokota: ibid. 91 (1955) 32.
- H. Mori: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 11 (1956) 1029.
- Reported by R. Kubo at the Conference on Physics of Magnetic Phenomena, Moskow, 1956 May.
- See for instance, G. Placzek: Handbuch der Radiologie, Bd VI, Teil ii, p. 211.
- A. I. Khintchin: Mathematical Foundations of Statistical Mechanics.
- J. Kirkwood:
J. Chem. Phys. 7 (1939) 911, [AIP Scitation]H. Frohlich: Theory of Dielectrics, 1949.
- L. Onsager:
Phys. Rev. 37 (1931) 405, [APS]
38 (1931) 2265[APS]. H. B. G. Casimir:
Rev. Mod. Phys. 17 (1945) 343[APS].
- H. Nyquist:
Phys. Rev. 32 (1928) 110[APS].